• Medication FAQ's


    What forms are required for medications at school?

    • All medication to be given at school must be accompanied by a Medication Request form
    • A separate form is required for each medication. 
    • A new form is required at the beginning of each school year and any time medication dosages are changed. 
    • Visit the forms page for additional forms related to specific health conditions and medications. 


    What medication can be given at school?

    • Only those medications which cannot be given outside of school hours will be given. 
    • Herbal substances and dietary supplements will not be administered in the school setting unless ordered by a physician and required as part of the student's Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or section 504 plan.
    • The school will not administer expired medications or medication at a dosage that exceeds the recommended maximum dosage in the Physician's Desk Reference.


    Over-the-Counter (OTC) Medications

    • Parent-provided nonprescription medication from the District-approved list (below) may be administered with a parent’s written request form for up to ten doses (no more than 5 consecutive days of administration) before a physician's signature is required.
    • All other nonprescription medications may be kept in the school clinic for 10 school days with a parent’s written request form. If the medication is needed at school for longer than a 10 day period, a physician's signature is required.
    • School personnel must administer OTC medications according to the age/weight instructions on the package/bottle.
    • PISD school clinics maintain a limited supply of District-approved nonprescription medications for unexpected situations and when no parent-provided nonprescription medication has been provided. These medications may be given after assessment by the registered nurse & attempts to relieve symptoms with a non-pharmacologic method, for up to ten doses, in accordance with standing orders by the District’s medical advisor and with appropriate written parent/guardian consent (completed electronically during online registration or by written request form from the school nurse).


    District-Approved List of Nonprescription ("Stock") Medications

    • Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
    • Ibuprofen (Advil; Motrin)
    • Diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
    • Menthol cough drops/throat lozenges
    • Calcium Carbonate chewable tablets (Tums)

    *Upon school enrollment, the parent/guardian is given the opportunity to electronically consent to the administration of the above medications in accordance with Board policy. In the event that the parent/guardian did not give consent during enrollment but later desires to do so, a written medication request form must be completed for each medication the parent would like to issue consent. Verbal consent is not acceptable for medication administration.

    How should medication be transported to and from school?

    • For student safety, parents/guardians should transport all medication to and from school. Do NOT send medication in student lunches.
    • Controlled medications will be counted upon arrival at the clinic. Documentation of the counts will be made with the parent and PISD staff.
    • Any unused, discontinued, or expired medication will be disposed of at the end of the school year or 2 weeks after the last prescribed dose if not picked up from the clinic by the parent.
    • The school will accept no more than a 30-day supply of prescription medication at a time.


    Acceptable containers and labeling for medication

    • All medication brought to school, including over-the-counter medication, is required to be in the original, properly labeled container. Medications brought to school outside of their original container will not be administered. If there is a change in the prescribed dosage, a new pharmacy label must be obtained for the medication bottle.
    • The pharmacy label must correspond with the information completed by the parent on the Medication Request form (student name, dose(s) due, administration time(s), route, etc.).


    Where are the medications kept while at school?

    • All medications will be kept in a locked cabinet in the school clinic*. The school nurse, health aide, and PISD personnel designated by the principal and trained to administer medications will distribute all medications. 

                *Emergency anaphylactic medications are stored in a secure, but unlocked location per legislative requirements.

    • A student may self-carry and self-administer an inhaler or epinephrine only after a Parent/Physician Request for Self-Administration form has been completed by the parent and the physician. This form is required to be renewed each school year.


    *The information on this page addresses parent frequently asked questions (FAQs) regarding medication administration in Prosper ISD.  Please contact your school nurse for assistance with any additional questions related to medications at school. For a detailed copy of the complete Prosper ISD Medication Guidelines, please contact the school nurse.