Bus Eligibility and Route Design
Transportation is available for children who live two miles or more from their assigned school and routes are created to enhance student safety while maximizing vehicle efficiency.
Most Prosper ISD school buses are rated by manufacturers to have a capacity of 72 passengers per bus.
- Stops are created that allow students to wait off the main roadway for the bus if at all possible.
- Stops are also created to minimize students walking on highly traveled roadways for long distances without sidewalks.
- Stops are not placed in cul-de-sacs or dead end streets to minimize bus accidents while backing up (backing is a very dangerous maneuver for a school bus).
- Stops are spread as far apart as criteria will allow in order to decrease the number of stops hence 'door to door' service will not be provided.
- Decreasing the number of stops a bus will make on its route minimizes ride time for students.
- Students not riding 3 or more days a week will be removed fom the route.*
Kindergarten and 1st grade students All K and 1st grade students must have a parent, approved adult or sibling (3rd grade or older) present at the bus stop in order for the younger student to be released from the bus. If no adult or sibling is present, or if the parent or approved adults cannot be contacted, the student(s) will be returned to their home campus for pick up. Every driver has a roster of their students and their listed bus stops to assist in drop-off verification.
However, if you choose for your K or 1st grade student to be released from the bus without a parent, approved adult or sibling (3rd grade or older) present, please notify us of your decision by emailing email@example.com and include your student's legal name.
Elementary students may be required to walk up to .20 of a mile to a bus stop.
Middle School students may be required to walk up to .35 of a mile to a bus stop.
High School students may be required to walk up to .50 of a mile to a bus stop.
Bus routes are designed to limit student ride time to no more than 45 minutes one-way if at all possible; however, most students ride under 30 minutes one-way.
If you have any questions or if your child will be receiving Special Education Services, please contact Prosper ISD’s Transportation office at 469-219-2065 or feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*If your student is removed from the route and should need a ride, please contact us the day before or morning of at 469-219-2065 or email email@example.com with the subject line: TRANSPORTATION NEEDED.