Tele-Behavioral Health option at Prosper ISD
Prosper ISD has partnered with Children’s HealthSM to provide convenient access to behavioral health care. Many students struggle with stress and emotional situations. If you’ve noticed your child or teenager being impacted, they may feel more comfortable talking to a therapist or counselor virtually. With your permission, your child can video chat with a licensed behavioral health provider – right from school, right from a tablet. You can join the session from work or home, too. It’s a convenient option for expert behavioral health care.
TeleBehavioral services at Prosper ISD will be covered in full for the first 4 sessions. Additional sessions will be billed to your insurance. Services that cost money will only be provided with your written consent. Visit childrens.com/telebehavioral for more information or call 844-656-4926.
Please reach out to your child’s school counselor for more information.
Mental Health/Suicide Awareness & Prevention
HB 1386 focuses on Early Mental Health Intervention for all students with a focus on Suicide Prevention. PISD counselors will present age appropriate guidance lessons to students on dealing with anxiety and depression.
According to Texas Suicide Safer Schools by Dr Scott Poland and Dr. Donna Poland, suicide is the second or third leading cause of death for youth ages 10-24. Suicide is preventable and a system wide approach is needed that includes the schools and all stakeholders.
Warning Signs of Suicide include but are not limited to the following:
- Talking about suicide
- Making statements about feeling hopeless, helpless, or worthless
- A deepening depression
- History of mental illness
- Preoccupation with death
- Taking unnecessary risks or exhibiting self-destructive behavior
- Engaging in non-suicidal self-injury
- Being victimized by bullying
- Out of character behavior, dramatic changes in behavior
- A loss of interest in the tins one cares about
- Visiting or calling people one cares about in a way that hints at saying goodbye
- Making arrangements; setting one's affairs in order
- Giving prized possessions away
- Exposure to suicide
If you or someone you know is in a crisis:
Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or
Text the Crisis Text Line by texting TALK to 741741
For information on "How to Talk to Your Kids about Suicide", follow this link.